Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Questions – Whats going on?
Aceistheki-
d1
May 14, 2016, 19:37

Over the past few months of 2016 that have flown by, I’ve slowly noticed that few people are on. Yes, there are some times for around 2 hours that there are about 5-8 people on, but then the server returns to a quiet… and sort of uncomfortable state. The reason I used the word “Uncomfortable” is because in the past, there we normally people that came on almost every day at like 4-5 PM (EST) or 7-8 PM (EST).

I remember the days that I’d come on during the weekend, and be greeted with people laughing and in general, just having a good time. I remember PVP, and Towny, and just how popular those servers were, along with Plots. I remember the good old days, being invited to see some amazing builds, and getting to have a simple factions world where almost everyone had something if you needed it, just as long as you were willing to trade.

So what I’m asking is… what’s going on? Where has LetsBuild gone off to? I know Ice, Nill, and Theo are busy with School, while Luke is busy with Work and such… but I just miss everyone. I miss the trolls, the spams, the commands…. I miss PVP. I’ve been here for 2 years now, and all I’ve ever wanted to do was try to help with things. I still do. I check how many people are online every now and then, and when there are 0, yeah I’ll be on for like 2 min. but I’ll get off because I just don’t know what to do anymore. I’m busy with school as well, but when I have free time, It just makes me sad seeing my favorite server empty…

I miss LetsBuild. I’ve been in contact with Theo every now and then on Skype, and I’ve asked him how life is, and what he’s been doing, as well as what you guys are up to. Minecraft may not be everyone’s favorite game still, but I still enjoy it. When I got Trusted, words couldn’t even explain how excited I was. But the title, and privileges, almost meant nothing. Because the truth is, that stuff doesn’t matter. What matters is, being able to get to hang with you guys. Getting to talk, and to laugh. I used to think that once I had a rank, I’d feel complete. But honestly, it wasn’t ever about the rank. It was about going through every day, and ending it with a good time on LetsBuild.

So if you guys are reading this… please… I need an answer. I need to know what I can do to keep things going. I need to know that you guys still care. I need to know that I can help.

Please come back…
The one and only,
-CupCake

kookster
Owner
May 15, 2016, 06:33

February 21, 2015 Mojang started allowing username changes. With that change many many many things broke. Along with that my will to maintain the server. There is so much that needs fixing in the current systems its sad. It is also written in a language I don’t particularly want to use anymore. And then there is the last point that I have been running minecraft servers for over 6 years now by myself. Now let me clarify that, there is staff that help run the server when dealing with the users. But when it comes to adding new features fixing bugs I have been all but alone in this matter. To the point that I can’t do it anymore.

So to answer your question, what has happened to LetsBuild?

I got burnt out, the stress of adding features and fixing bugs finally broke me. So the server is now extremely glitchy in certain cases and hasn’t been updated in over a year.
Theo, Nill, Ice are all busy with school. Ben is busy with real life. And pretty much the rest of the staff is up to who knows what or have left entirely.
People have left probably because the server is broken and not updated.

So to all this you might ask, can it be fixed? Yes, yes it can be. But I don’t want to fix it. Not by myself.
Also, I won’t be taking letsbuild down at all, unless everyone stops using it. As long as someone is using it, it will stay up.

Though I do hope to fix the issues some day. I am working on a eventual fix, but it wont happen any time soon since I only work on it every now and then and it is literally only me working on it.

kookster
Owner
May 15, 2016, 06:51

To answer your question as to what you can do. I need the most help with coding.

Aceistheki-
d1
May 15, 2016, 16:56

Quote from kookster on May 15, 2016, 06:51
To answer your question as to what you can do. I need the most help with coding.

What are you trying to code the server with? Like what is it in? C++ or javascript (I don’t know much about coding, but if it’s coding you need help with, I guess I can do my best to try to learn. When I do I’d get back to you, and attempt to help as much as I possibly can.

kookster
Owner
May 15, 2016, 22:01

The current code is done with a language called methodscript using the plugin commandhelper. I want to move away from that so I started my own framework using javascript wrapping bukkits java api.

chickenbut-
tsalad
August 5, 2016, 21:05

A lot of servers have gone down in popularity in the past month or two because Minecraft is getting old.
Right now there is an average of about 2 – 4 people on this server each day. Lets Build is stuck in 1.8 and some people don’t know how to downgrade Minecraft and I can see how hard it is to code this server up to be compatible with newer versions of Minecraft.
Most people are stuck in school activities or are in school right now. Some older people have to work or deal with family.
I’m not asking to be recruited for coding. I’m just listing reasons why Lets Build is getting less popular. But is there anything we can do to help? Or is it too late.

Oh yeah, I’m back on MC after 3 years.

_NILLEKE_
Owner
August 6, 2016, 20:50

We’re currently fixing the code to be fully compatible with 1.8, like Luke explained perfectly the main change between 1.7 and 1.8 is the UUID system which allows name changes. This has a major impact on our custom code but also used plugins. Our server network is using Bungeecord which currently only allows 1.7 and 1.8 server to be added, if we want to add 1.9 servers we wouldn’t be able to add them to the existing network. This means we would have to update all the servers to 1.9 at once.

Minecraft server aren’t going down in popularity, player just move to bigger networks instead of smaller community servers. The main reason for this is the DMCA take-down of the Bukkit project which ruined a large part of the server community. Spigot a partial replacement for this community has an awesome amount of developers, but a large part of this group of developers decided to make their plugins/services premium. Large server networks who ask their players for money are the ones that profit from this situation. They make a crap ton of money which they use to pay these premium developers. Smaller server which fund everything themselves have to come up with way to pay bills, keep their community from dying, develop/update plugins. This gets to another reason why larger networks are growing and smaller ones die, which is the EULA enforcement. Letsbuild used to have a service where people could buy their own mini-server which would be part of the world server, this server currently isn’t available, it’s currently unknown if this will be continued due to the EULA enforcement. Other ideas for some way to make money to sustain the server are currently in consideration but are likely to be added after we have the new framework.

I would like to point out there is a larger Letsbuild community than minecraft, we have a teamspeak server with 16 people online while I’m writing this.

To respond to @chickenbuttsalad: Welcome back! I’ll gladly add a tutorial to downgrade your Minecraft version (I will do so in the next few days), although this has never been so easy as it is today. A few years ago people had to backup their Minecraft folder to switch between version instead of using the current launcher, back then we had 20+ who had no problem doing that. Usually we add protocol support to new version so their clients can still join the server without downgrading, 1.9 however has so many changes to the way players interact with the server, that adding protocol support for 1.7-1.9 is really hard.

Once we’re fully 1.8 compatible, I’ll personally look into protocol support for 1.8 and 1.9 till we update to 1.9! As for Letsbuild getting less popular, I’m currently working on some unique features and doing a rework of the games server. As people, who play on the games server regularly, might have notices there is a massive sign asking for YOUR suggestions. As expected a lot of these suggestions are games you find on large server networks, these games are not public plugins which makes it impossible to add them, we can however find or code similar games which make our server a little more unique 🙂 . I’m not stopping players from telling their friends about our server, I would actually encourage them to do so (Please don’t post our servers on free-op websites as this happened in the past). We are not advertising on other websites and our community currently relies on face-to-face advertisement by our current players. If we “bump” our server on PlanetMinecraft at least 3 staff members have to be online for at least 2 days to mute/kick/ban players who spam, advertise or break other rules, people searching on these website seem to be looking for easy targets for their tricks (which Letsbuild isn’t 😉 ), that’s why we postpone “bumps” on PlanetMinecraft till after the server maintenance.

If you are a developer you are free to develop games or other projects for the server, we only accept source code (no compiled code) written in Java using the Bukkit/Craftbukkit/Spigot API or Javascript using the MCJS framework (currently in development by Luke aka Kookster). The MCJS framework will be used to do the rework of the currently server code written in MethodScript (CommandHelper). Plugins and the custom code of the server are not publicly available and are only given to trusted developers, any information you might need can be asked to an OP or Luke.

Current server status 06/08/2016:

Bungeecord with protocol support for 1.7.2 - 1.8.9
Games 1.7.10 (Update to 1.8 in progress)
Towny 1.7.10 (Update planned - After PvP maintenance)
Plot 1.7.10 (Will be decommissioned) 
Plot2 1.8
Showcase 1.8
PvP 1.8 (Closed for maintenance)
Kaj 1.8 (Private build server)
Hub 1.7.10 (Fallback server - Will be the last server to update to 1.8)
World 1.7.10 (Semi-public server - Plans unknown)
FTB (Closed)
Vanilla (Closed)

I would like to end this massive post by pointing out that our server is active and will remain so till the Letsbuild Minecraft server is no longer being used. Copying our systems (chat, ranks, custom code, plugins, …) and worlds/maps is not allowed unless given permission by the owner Luke (can be revoked at any time), people ignoring this will be dealt with accordingly.

Nilleke
OP

_NILLEKE_
Owner
May 11, 2017, 19:04

Quick update on the current server status.
We updated all servers to 1.8 with support for 1.8-1.11.2 clients, this means you can use any of the versions between that to connect to the server. However you won’t be able to use any blocks added after 1.8. For the PvP server I highly suggest using 1.8, any newer versions have changes that affect combat mechanics. This means you could have a disadvantage if you use newer versions while playing on the PvP server.

Current server status 05/11/2017:

Bungeecord with protocol support for 1.8 – 1.11.2
Games 1.8.8
Towny 1.8.8
Plot Will be decommissioned and replaced with a new plot server
Plot2 1.8.8
Showcase 1.8.8
PvP 1.8.8
Kaj (Closed)
Hub 1.8.8 
World 1.8.8 (Semi-public server – Plans unknown)
FTB (Closed)
Vanilla (Closed)

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.186 seconds.